Before Quezon City was created, it was composed of small towns. These were San Francisco del Monte, Novaliches, and Balintawak. In August 23, 1896, the Katipunan led by .Andres Bonifacio declared a revolution against Spain in the house of Melchora Aquino in Pugad Lawin (now known as Bahay Toro, Project 8).
In the early 1900s, President Manuel L. Quezon dreamt of a city that would become the future capital of the country, replacing Manila, and home to several middle workers. It is believed that his earlier trip to Mexico influenced his vision. In 1938, President Quezon created People's Homesite Corporation and purchased 15.29 km² from the vast Diliman estate of the Tuason family.(This piece of land became known as Bario Obrero "Home of the Middle Workers" before a name change to Quezon City) The National Assembly of the Philippine Commonwealth passed Commonwealth Act 502 known as the “Charter of Quezon City” originally proposed as Balintawak City, Assemblymen Narciso Ramos (father of President Fidel V. Ramos) and Ramon Mitra, Sr. (father of Speaker Ramon Mitra, Jr.) successfully lobbied the assembly to name the city after the incumbent president. President Quezon allowed the bill to lapse into law without his signature on October 12, 1939, thus establishing Quezon City.
After the war, Republic Act No. 333 was signed by Elpidio Quirino on July 17, 1948 declaring Quezon City to be the republic's capital. On June 16, 1950, the City Charter was revised by Republic Act No. 537, extending the city's boundaries to its present area of 153.59 km². Baesa, Talipapa, San Bartolome, Pasong Tamo, Novaliches Poblacion, Banlat, Kabuyao, Pugad Lawin, Bagbag, Pasong Putik of the old Novaliches municipality ceded to Quezon City. The rest of the municipality was ceded to Caloocan thus becoming North Caloocan.
On November 7, 1975 the promulgation of Presidential Decree No. 824 of President Ferdinand Marcos established Metro Manila. Quezon City became one of Metro Manila's 17 cities and municipalities. The next year, Presidential Decree No. 940 transferred the capital back to Manila on June 24, 1976.
On March 31, 1978, President Ferdinand Marcos ordered the transfer of the remains of President Manuel L. Quezon from the Manila North Cemetery to the erected Quezon Memorial Monument within the Quezon Elliptical Road.
On February 22, 1986, the Quezon City portion of the Epifanio de los Santos Avenue became the venue of the bloodless People Power Revolution.
On February 23, 1998, Republic Act. No. 8535 was signed by President Fidel V. Ramos. The Act provided for the creation of the City ofNovaliches comprising the 15 northernmost barangays of Quezon City. However, in the succeeding plebiscite on October 23, 1999, an overwhelming majority of Quezon City residents rejected the secession of Novaliches.
Quezon City is the first local government in the Philippines with a computerized real estate assessment and payment system. The City government developed a database system that now contains around 400,000 property units with capability to record payments.